mozilla's install hanging on amd64

Mikhail Teterin mi at corbulon.video-collage.com
Tue Apr 12 05:33:36 UTC 2005

> >     Whether that policy was "-march must work" or "-march is
> >     unsupported"
>
> "-march is unsupported" (existence of CPUTYPE-macro nonwithstanding)
> *is* and *has been* the *long standing* consensus.

> Mikhail seems to have forgotten that not too long ago, CPUTYPE was something
> for only the most daring would use. GCC's optimizers have seen much
> improvement since then, but just because you can get away with always setting
> CPUTYPE for everything much more often these days doesn't mean it's not risky
> anymore (or we would have the resources to runtime test every port in the
> collection with all possible CPUTYPE settings on each arch).

Nothing except Mozilla has ever caused problems for Mikhail, that was
traceable to this switch.

make.conf(5) documents it, it should work. Period. And everything does work.
Complex things like Perl build fine and pass their self-tests (make test). The
entire KDE built and works (although it is lacking self-tests).

Time to stop blaming compiler for the software's bug -- and Mozilla has plenty
of them.

	-mi