docs/71529: (Strongly!) suggested change to listed address for postmaster@

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Sep 9 15:40:16 UTC 2004

>Number:         71529
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       (Strongly!) suggested change to listed address for postmaster@
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD bunrab.catwhisker.org 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #75: Sun Sep 5 05:16:39 PDT 2004 root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/BUNRAB i386

Under "Postmaster," doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/article.sgml
currently shows Jonathan's name & address address as well as mine.

There are a couple of issues; the first is that Jonathan has effectively
retired from postmaster at FreeBSD.org, effective January 2003.  (However,
"jmb" still shows up in the expansion for the "postmaster" alias on
hub.)

That, however, is not the focus of this PR.  I mention it in passing,
and am Cc:ing Jonathan, in case he wants to pipe up.

The focus is that while the names may be useful, the given addresses are
somewhat less so, and may be misleading:  mx1.freebsd.org is (and has
been) set up to treat mail to postmaster@ as "special" -- there are
several circumstances such that if someone tries to send mail to
jmb at freebsd.org or dhw at freebsd.org, the attempt will fail, while an
otherwise equivalent attempt to send mail to postmaster at freebsd.org will
succeed.

This is by design and intent, per RFC 2821, section 4.5.1.

Further, the mail that is addressed to postmaster at freebsd.org that gets
to me does so via the address "freebsd-pm at catwhisker.org" -- in my MTA
rules and filters on mx.catwhisker.org, I make an effort to accept
mail addressed to freebsd-pm@ just as I do for postmaster@ -- and those
rules are a lot less strict than those I have for non-postmaster
aliases.

Thus, with the situation as it now is, someone having trouble sending
mail to one of the FreeBSD.org mailing lists might be inclined to send
mail to dhw@ and jmb@ (individually -- as happened today), and be just
as unable to send mail to those addresses as to the mailing list.  So
the person then ends up sending mail from some other address that does
not exhibit the problem, finding some other way to contact us, or giving
up.

I believe that changing the given email address(es) to just
"postmaster at FreeBSD.org" would better serve folks in need of contacting
Postmaster and suggest that the docs be changed to reflect that.

>How-To-Repeat:
	n/a
>Fix:

Sorry; I don't have the docbook-fu for this.  :-(