RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 7 20:26:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 12:27, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Having just done a 4.10  -> current upgrade...

[lots of useful info]

> I followed the above advise, and had no problems at all.  I'd also
> recommend portupgrade strongly (in force mode), although I know that
> some people hate it with a passion.
>
> I'd also recommend having a 'script' that takes all these items and
> presents them w/o annotation.

obrien sent one to re@ that was later forwarded to me, not sure what's
going on with it.

> I'd also recommend doing this from a serial console if possible.
>
> If you are using nextboot, disable it for the upgrade.
>
> Can't think of anything else...  Hope this is enough :-)

That's great, thanks!

I'll be (mostly) AFK for a few days, but will hopefully get to make
another pass on this on the weekend.

One concern I had was that by duplicating what's in src/UPDATING,
there's the opportunity for these to be inconsistent (or appear to be
inconsistent from the viewpoint of people who might not know the
difference).  Originally I just had a reference to src/UPDATING.
Whatever the end state is, this document and src/UPDATING should be
consistent...clearly there is more time to work that out.

Thanks again!

Bruce.

PS.  current@ and doc@ members, please continue discussions, I'll catch
up later.