RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 7 01:56:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 17:24, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:06, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > The pthread libraries change probably requires people to recompile things
> > linked to it if they're migrating from 4.x - users updating from 5.x-Releases
> > can get away with setting up libmap.conf (maybe this is true for updating
> > from 4.x as well, can some threads expert comment on it?).
>
> Users should really rebuild ALL ports when upgrading from 4.X to
> 5.3-RELEASE.  Only simple applications that only rely on libraries in
> compat4x will work correctly.  Others, for example GTK+ apps, may link
> to both libc_r.so.4 and libpthread.so.1.  That could spell disaster.

Hmmm...OK, that's more conservative than I was originally led to
believe.  I'll try something like "in general, executables should be
recompiled; simple apps might work; in particular C++ and threaded apps
*do* need to be recompiled".  (Use your imagination to turn that into
real English.)

> I would also mention /usr/ports/UPDATING in this document.  There are a
> lot of useful hints in there when it comes to upgrading things such as
> Perl and X (as well as the recently recent KDE 3.3).  Plus, it would
> give this file much needed publicity.

Thanks for mentioning that; I'd forgotten.  I'll put a reference to this
and ports/CHANGES at the end of section 4.

Thanks, guys!

Bruce.