TCP Wrappers section (handbook/security): services is not daemons

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 14 13:21:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:24:59 +0200
"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2004.10.14 13:59:25 +0400, Denis Peplin wrote:
>
> ["s/daemons/services/g" in TCP Wrappers section]
> > Please, look at patch attached.
>
> Personally I don't care much either way, but hosts_access(5) at least
> refers to the server programs as "daemons".  Snip from host_access(5):
>
>                  daemon_list : client_list [ : shell_command ]
>
>        daemon_list is a list of one or more daemon process names (argv[0] val-
>        ues) or wildcards (see below).

I won't object to the patch; as if being the author gives me
any more right.  But I would like to point out that to my knowledge
every book I've seen which discussed tcpwrappers used 'daemon'.

Think of it this way, a daemon 'qpopper' offers POP3 mail access,
to allow this service you need to add qpopper to hosts.allow.
If you just list pop3, you'll see everything break.

I consider a daemon a utility/program/whatever the item that
delivers the service we need, as in the example above.  Since
I know that I'm not alone in that train of thought, I'll let
you choose.  If you say "just add the service" then you'll
break the ACL in TCP Wrappers for every instance that the service
is not the name of the daemon:

nevermind, I really can't think of an example other than services
marked 'internal' in inetd.conf; those have no external daemon
associated with them.

--
Tom Rhodes