Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Sun Nov 28 21:22:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 09:26:57PM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> - Changing doc from SGML to XML (yes, really do it this time)
>
>   - des agreed to make a script for the actual conversion of the files
>     from SGML to XML.

What new applications do people have in mind that this enables?

Is the plan to phase out DSSSL at this point?  The stylesheet work
should be more difficult than converting SGML files to XML, but it's
not mentioned here.  The XSL support is partly broken.

>   - With SGML -> XML conversion we will loose the "IGNORE"
>     functionality from SGML, but it is not widely used, and where such
>     functionality is needed it can e.g. be handled in other ways.
>     This is used to be able to build sub directories in the Handbook,
>     but this has been broken for a while and nobody has complained
>     about that yet...

Yes the IGNORE functionality was cool, but it's broken, and it never
really worked well because it broke if your chapter included
references to other chapters since we never did the olink stuff
properly.  Moving to XML/XSL will get us closer to the goal that
IGNORE was attempting to reach since there are better olink
implementations in XSL.

> - It was suggested to move chapter files to the main directory e.g.
>   en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11/chapter.sgml ->
>   en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.sgml, since there does not seem
>   to a big point in all the sub directories, and make does not like
>   the sub directories well..

You don't need a makefile in each subdirectory since you'll be
removing the ability to build only a single chapter, so there is no
make consideration here.

Directories aren't an issue if you just XInclude the
<dirname>/chapter.xml from the root book.xml, and the directories
provide a natural place for the language-specific image files for a
given chapter.

I don't see any need to remove the directories.  At least it seems
unrelated to the other goals.

Murray