[RFC] Kerberos5 chapter re-write

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Nov 25 21:55:47 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-25 09:35, Tillman Hodgson <tillman at seekingfire.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 11:35:10AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2004-11-24 11:42, Tillman Hodgson <tillman at seekingfire.com> wrote:
> > > For the impatient:
> > > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > The patch is at http://www.seekingfire.com/patches/kerberos5.patch
> >
> > Hi Tillman,
> > I've locally made several changes to that patch.
> > Sorry for not mailing you more often :-/
>
> Hey, no problem.  I wanted to get some exposure for the patch

Good move.  I still have in my =drafts folder a post to freebsd-doc with
a copy of your patch.  No wait, that's not needed anymore :-)

> > The version I am working on can be found at:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~keramida/tillman-kerberos5.patch
>
> I've pulled a copy of that down and started to hand-compare it to the
> original I had to see if I could pick up on areas where I had
> technical docbook problems.

Don't worry too much about this.  I can send you a commented version of
the patch you have at: http://www.seekingfire.com/patches/kerberos5.patch

Then you can pick whatever suits you and integrate it to your copy :-)

> It's kind of an awkward process, and diff'ing two patches is kind of
> useless. Is there a better method than applying each copy to it's own
> copy of the target file and then diff'ing the resulting patched files?

I usually diff the two patches using the -T option of diff.  It uses a
TAB for indenting the diff output (which makes the output pretty useless
for patch(1) input) so the two patches would look like this:

-	- original original line
-	+ first patch version
-	  original original line
+	- original original line
+	+ second patch version
+	  original original line

The changes I did was mostly the change/addition of a few tags.  Some
<command>foo</command> stuff was replaced with &man.foo.8; entities.
I've added a "Synopsis" section to sections that rendered like this:

	* Section title
		+ Subsection title
			Text
			Text
		+ Subsection title

and fixed a few typos (s/In principal/In principle/ is one that I can
remember off the top of my head.

- Giorgos