Documentation for NIS, MSSFU, FreeBSD integration

Doug Martin drearwig at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 05:25:05 UTC 2004

http://www.wracked.com/freebsd/nis-sfu.htm

Allowing users to log onto FreeBSD Systems with Windows User/Pass

There are a few decent ways to get your unix/FreeBSD machines to be able to
use authentication from Active Directory. I have found this way to require
the least amount of software to be installed, and I have also found it to be
the most bug-free. I was able to get pam_winbind to work as well as
openLDAP, but with pam_winbind I had problems getting it to work with
certain versions of OpenSSH for sFTP. With OpenLDAP, I had problems getting
it to properly read groups in Samba. Using NIS from MS-SFU, I've been able
to get everything to work with very little effort.

I have written this document because there is so surprisingly little
information available on this subject. I hope you find it useful.

-Not a member of this list...

-Doug