Proposal regarding security chapter

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Mon Nov 22 00:45:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:00:01PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> V System Administration -> MAC -> Biba
> V System Administration -> Firewalls -> PF
> V System Administration -> Kerberos5

I think you mean 'Security' here.  As in a new Security <part>, rather
than two <parts> named 'System Administration'.

> Basically putting all of the security topics on equal footing. This
> highlights the importance of security, makes individual topics easier to
> find (and less "deep" in level),

Adding a new part and pushing the total chapter count to 30 is going
to remove some of "easier to find" justification.  This would also
move content about SSH and MAC away from chapters about NIS, Unix
accounts, other network services, etc.

I like the original suggestion best: moving the firewall (and OpenSSH
sections) out of security and into the Network Services <part>.
Network Services is our newest part, and the System Admin part has
twice as many chapters as the Network Services <part>.  We should just
continue the work that began this summer of moving the network bits
out of the general System Administration part and into the Network
Services part.  That's what it was created for.

I don't think adding another <part> for Security issues is a logical
division point with just two candidate chapters at this point.

Security topics are integral to both System Administration and Network
Services, and we shouldn't remove security information from those
parts to make a new one.

All of these proposals seem to have two things in common :

1. The security chapter is too big.
2. The firewalls information should go into a separate chapter.

Moving a chapter between parts is easy.  So how about splitting out
the firewall content into a new 'firewalls/chapter.sgml' file, and
then temporarily adding this into the Network Services part.

If it turns out that people do feel there is enough content for a
whole new <part> dedicated to security, then it will just be a one
line diff to move the firewalls chapter from the network <part> to a
new security <part>.

Murray