.so macro in man pages

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Wed Nov 17 15:51:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:20:29PM +0530, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> > what is proper way of linking manpages in our world?
>
> You may want to look at the 'MLINKS' make macro
> (see /usr/src/share/man/man?/Makefile for examples).

I'm afraid that's not exactly what I seek.  With MLINKS, you can have
several manpages being mutual hardlinks.  While this saves even more
space compared to tiny manpage which contains only `.so man1/foo', I'd
like to know why the latter method didn't work for me as expected, just
for the reference.

Thanks.

./danfe