Headless Install Instructions for FreeBSD 4.10

Ralph Hempel rhempel at bmts.com
Wed Nov 10 21:43:02 UTC 2004

All,

I've noticed a discrepancy in the install notes for
setting up FreeBSD using the serial console.

The notes in the Advanced Installation Guide section
of the handbook:

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-advanced.html>

don't tell you what the correct baud rate is and some of the
other pages of the  Handbook indicate that the baud rate should
be 9600.

I've written up my headless install procedure for 4.10 Stable
here:

http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/embedded/stories/bdgFreeBSDHeadless.html

These instructions are useful for an ever increasing market of
small PCs that don't have floppies and are used for servers and are
quite likely headless.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Ralph