Line length limit suggestion in the FDP primer

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Nov 8 00:11:27 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-08 00:59, Martin Heinen <martin at sumuk.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:30:29AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > The style guide of the FDP primer mentions using 70-column lines.  IMHO,
> > this is too short, as I mentioned to a personal email exchange with
> > Tillman Hodgson a few days back.  A line length of 78 columns is probably
> > ok these days (I usually run terminals much wider, but I don't have a
> > problem with keeping this under the 80-column limit).
>
> It doesn't bother me much, but limiting to 70 characters makes it easy
> to add a missing word or a missing tag.  You could do that with 78
> characters too, but more commits will then be followed by a whitespace
> clean up.

Ah, yes.  There's a good point there; at least as far as missing words are
concerned.

With most tags having at least 2 characters in their name, the addition of a
tag usually exceeds the 78-column limit anyway (since the opening and closing
tags are almost invariably more than 8 characters), so this isn't of similarly
great importance, but you have a point there too.