[patch] missing FreeBSD versions in Porter's Handbook

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Sun Nov 7 09:20:24 UTC 2004

Hi, Mark,

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:23:22AM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> There are a couple of missing versions.  One's easy, the other is
> the problematic one where we had a version and then backed it out.
> Worse, we seem to have reintroduced that number later.
>
> I _think_ this patch is accurate but someone who understands what
> happened will have to tell me so.

The __FreeBSDversion bump for permanent PFIL_HOOKS MFC existed for
no more than 1 hour, so I believe that it is more or less Ok not
to document the fact.  It's true that there might be someone who
has built their kernels in the window, but the window should be
small enough not to keep so many people affected.

The original rationale is to make the __FreeBSDversion consist with
other -RELEASEs, and making PFIL_HOOKS does not effectively change
the ABI compatibility (because PFIL_HOOKS is an optional component
before the MFC, and there is no simple way to detect the existense
of it).

This was discussed in cvs-src, IIRC.  Here is a pointer to ceri@'s
suggestion:
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2004-September/032212.html

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.