docs/64144: [patch] document procedure to add a new ports category to Committer's Guide

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 30 22:30:28 UTC 2004

On 2004.03.30 14:26:30 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > +		    the <filename class="directory">ports/</filename> directory, run
>
> OK, that's the first I've seen of this.

Well, it don't think we (doc people) have been aware that the class
existed for very long.  Ceri has mentioned at least once, on some
mailing list.

It's not terribly important, as nothing actually uses it at the moment
and as you noted in another mail - a lot of existing docs doesn't use
it. For new content we might as well add it, since we might find some
use for it at some point.

> > > +		<step>
> > > +		  <para>Submit a PR to request that the web
> > > +		    page build be updated to reflect the new
> > > +		    category.  The responsibility for doing this
> > > +		    is not yet well established.</para>
> > > +		</step>
> >
> > Shouldn't this just be a "www" PR?  I'm not really sure what needs to be
> > changed on the web pages?
> >
> > Of course the issue with the ports/ pages being based on a INDEX still
> > exist...
>
> The latter is what I was trying to imply.  IMHO, at least the ports index
> page at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html ought to be updated as
> soon as a category is added.

It should, but the category list is generated from INDEX... I will look
more into this.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team