Auto generated hardware notes

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 18 07:00:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:56:33PM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> Inspired by NetBSD I have created a HARDWARE section in section 4 manual
> pages.  This section will then be extracted on put in to the hardware
> notes.

Looks great from the mdoc(7) perspective, please go ahead.

> The main advantage to this model is that if the manual page is updated
> the hardware notes are updated, so there is no need for duplicate work.
> The main disadvantage is that since the same text has to be used both in
> the manual page and in the hardware notes for text structure (see sample
> generated version for what I mean) is not perfect for the hardware
> notes.

[...]
> The main unresolved issue for me is translation.  Since most of the text
> is now extracted directly from manual pages (which only exists in
> English and Japaneese) I'm not really sure how to deal with this nicely.

I may be blind, but I don't see a real problem here.  Whenever a
manpage gets updated, the English version of hardware notes gets
updated, and translators could pick it up easily, and add/change
the necessary translation.  If only list of supported hardware
is changed, this will be even easier.  Another approach would be
for Japanese hardware notes to convert section 4 manpages to this
new syntax with HARDWARE section, and then scan Japanese manpages
using your script.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov