Finding rc variables

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Fri Jul 9 03:53:37 UTC 2004

	For naive users (as I am under FreeBSD 5), /etc/rc.d and
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcng.html>
beg the question: "What variables do I need to enable in rc.conf?" Is
the intention that users will add an _enable variable for each of the
113 scripts in /etc/rc.d they use, or only a subset?

	The Handbook doesn't list the scripts that are toggled via
rc.conf (which is good from a maintenance perspective), but is a
there an efficient way to get such a list, or is it really just 'ls
/etc/rc.d'?

	I see mentions of RCng and rc.conf in /usr/ports/UPDATING,
but they're not suitable for extracting a complete list. Reading
UPDATING, I get the impression all ports will eventually use RCng,
but most of the scripts I have installed don't yet -- is the
following a suitable test for port scripts?

grep '^# KEYWORD:' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*

						Thx,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>