docs/61585: small typo in arch-handbook ("posh" instruction)

Rostislav Krasny rosti_bsd at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 17:10:10 UTC 2004

>Number:         61585
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       small typo in arch-handbook ("posh" instruction)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
      "Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko" <doublef at tele-kom.ru> suggested me
      send this doc PR. This is a copy of its response email:

      > I thought that I found a typo in the arch-handbook and I wrote about
      > that to the freebsd-doc mailing list. You can read that email at
      > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20040117005106.21558.qmail
      > I didn't get any response yet. Maybe I'm missing something and this
      > isn't a typo? What is "posh" instruction? :-))

      Yes, it's pushf with fewer letters and spelled differently... Send a
      doc
      PR. BTW, I think I understand the phrase about `real mode instructions'
      correctly, but I'd change it to `instructions which mess with the
      physical interrupt flag', as I think that's more correct, as these are
      not necessarily real mode instructions.

      And this is my original typo report:

      The "1.5 boot2 stage" section of the arch-handbook have following text:

      virtual v86 mode. That means, the BTX is a v86 monitor. Real mode
      instructions like posh, popf, cli, sti, if called by the client, will
      work.

      What is "posh" instruction? IMHO it should be changed to "pushf" one.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Just read the "1.5 boot2 stage" section of arch-handbook
>Fix:
      The "posh" instruction should be changed to the "pushf" one