Updated 'diskless operation' section for the handbook

Jean-Francois Dockes jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 12 16:19:22 UTC 2004

I have updated my update of the 'diskless operation' section.

I have included information specific to FreeBSD 5.x, and more details about
using PXE.

Some of the information is supposedly more accurate because I have taken
more time to investigate how some of the mechanisms actually work.

On a related note, I think that PR docs/62412 should be closed as it is
mostly wrong AFAIK. I have tested every method described in the section,
both with release 4.9 and 5.2, and everything works as advertised (at least
on my test machines which have fairly common hardware, both quite old and
quite new). There were a few glitches in the previous version of the
section, but no real show-stopper either.

I'd be very glad to welcome your corrections, and hope that the new version
can be included in the handbook.

Links to the data:
HTML:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dockes/diskless/network-diskless.html