docs/74917: References to inexistent sysctl veriablekern.quantum in faq

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Dec 14 02:00:39 UTC 2004

The following reply was made to PR docs/74917; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk at daleco.biz>
To: Juho Vuori <juho.vuori at kulma.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/74917: References to inexistent sysctl veriable kern.quantum
 in faq
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:59:21 -0600

 Juho Vuori wrote:

 >>Number:         74917
 >>Category:       docs
 >>Synopsis:       References to inexistent sysctl veriable kern.quantum in faq
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       non-critical
 >>
 >kulma.net
 >

 >>Environment:
 >>

 >FreeBSD varsi 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #19: Tue Dec  7 14:02:02 EET 2004   juho at varsi:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VARSI  i386

 >FreeBSD FAQ questions 8.6 and 8.7 talk about sysctl variables kern.quantum, which in fact is kern.sched.quantum nowadays.
 >

 >>How-To-Repeat:
 >>

 >-
 >

 >>Fix:
 >>

 >obvious
 >

 >>Release-Note:
 >>Audit-Trail:
 >>Unformatted:

 Hi, Juho!

 Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

 As far as I can tell, the variable is still 'kern.quantum' in 4.X.

 This is a problem that occurs whenever a new major version
 is released; there exists a need for multiple versions of the
 documentation to match the "real world."

 I believe that doc team is attempting to make a way to
 automatically build the docs with "For 4.X do this,
 for 5.X do that", but I cannot guess when this will be
 accomplished (and I can't find that thread ATM...) ;-)

 We'll try and keep you posted.

 Kevin Kinsey