Kwalitee

Joseph Koshy joseph.koshy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 03:31:40 UTC 2004

Nik,

> I'm wondering if we can adopt this idea for the FDP.  Can we come up

I'm wary of metrics as I've seen way too many organizations optimize for the
metric instead of focussing on the real thing.

That said, it would be cool to have a web page where we could look up the
current 'kwalitee' of our documentation.

> So to kick off, some metrics we might use, and the rationale behind
> them.  It should be possible to mechanically check each metric.

I like all of these.

Here are some more suggestions:

For users:

Metric:       Number of undocumented programs
Rationale:  Every program should have a manual page.  whatis(1) should
                  "just work".

And for programmers trying to use FreeBSD, the following:

Metric:       Number of undocumented APIs
Rationale:  Every visible symbol in our libraries should have a description
                  in a manual page.

Metric:       Number of undocumented kernel APIs
Rationale:  Same as above.

The intent for these two is to make FreeBSD a nice platform to develop on.