Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon

Len Zettel zettel at acm.org
Mon Dec 6 17:48:36 UTC 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 05:16 pm, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:29:34PM +0000, Len Zettel wrote:
> > This could change if three things moved up the
> > priority list.
> > 1) Fixing the doc infrastructure so it worked as
> > advertised.
> >
> > 2) Updating the advertising so a newbie could
> > find out how it worked without a lot of thrashing around.
>
> Hi Len, the Doc Project Primer is still the place to go for learning
> about how it all works.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
>
> Please open a PR if you think this document is misleading you in any
> way.  It seems to be up to date to me.
>
> - Murray
I have tried to read the doc primer (long about September-October
2004).

At the moment, my problem is this. Not too long ago, I thought
I saw where some improvements could be made to the documentation.
I also figured that the the more work I could do to setting the
proposed changes up to go automagically the better the
chances were of their actually getting introduced smoothly
and promptly.

So I took a stab at creating an sgml file incorporating the changes
(by editing the existing file for the document in question).
When it came time create an html file from the sgml (so I
could check the work) I flunked out.  The make couldn't
find some of the necessary boiler plate.

So I took a chance, created a diff using the edited file
and dashed off a PR.

Part of my ever-expanding "todo" list is to take another
stab at going from sgml to html.  When I am happy
with that I will take another crack at a PR or two.
That likely won't be for a while yet.
  -LenZ-