Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Mon Dec 6 17:16:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:49:48PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> You're right, DSSSL is not easy to deal with, I don't know if a XSLT
> solution can replace our DSSSL system.

I think I've been one of the stronger advocactes for DSSSL as I've
written a lot of code in freebsd.dsl and thousands of additional lines
for the printed books by FreeBSD Mall, Inc.  However, I have also been
working more with XSL-FO recently, and while PassiveTeX is still
limited (as is JadeTeX), the Java based XSL-FO formatters are far
ahead of JadeTeX.  The HTML output has been there for a long time, and
I believe the toolchain support is also there for PDF output.

DSSSL meets most of our needs now, but XSLT will allow us to have
better olink support at least.  Considering the amount of work
involved, I'd personally want a pretty strong list of advantages and
some ideas for new applications that XSL would enable before doing the
work myself.

     - Murray