Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon

Len Zettel zettel at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 18:30:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 05:36 pm, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:12:28 +0100
>
> Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:43:45PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > > Would be nice, but are you sure you can't come up with a better
> > > solution?
> >
> > I wrote the thing in 2001, I committed it in late 2002 (I think, I
> > should check the CVS), so my memories are not really good.  I remember I
> > did not chose some solutions cause of the jadetex part, the fact
> > make(1) should be able to build en_US images mixed with localized one
> > (different path), the fact we should avoid to use too much disk spaces
> > (copying images), etc.  It's quite complex because you have to take care
> > about many things at same time.
>
> Leave it in there for now.  We'll cross this bridge when we
> come to it.  Lets not go off in a million directions at once,
> that'll just get us in the mess we have now.

If you don't mind an ignorant outsider butting in here....

It seems plain to me that the guys doing the doc project are
overworked and underappreciated.  It would help a lot if
there were more hands and minds doing all the things
that need to be done.

It would help if it were easier to join the doc project.
I don't claim that you guys have barricades and
machine guns mowing down prospective newcomers.
I mean it is downright difficult to gain the knowledge
and expertrise that would let one become a really
productive member of the team.

This could change if three things moved up the
priority list.
1) Fixing the doc infrastructure so it worked as
advertised.

2) Updating the advertising so a newbie could
find out how it worked without a lot of thrashing around.

3) Laying out a systematic plan to accomplish 1) and 2)
that had realistic time shedules.  Said plan, as far as
possible, should go for incremental steps rather than a
massive change all in one blast, but each step should
clearly lead to the overall goal.

Easy to say, isn't it? ;-)
   -LenZ-