Merging the FAQ -> handbook, build time options, proof ofconcept patch

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Dec 3 01:33:01 UTC 2004

I'm running very short of cycles at the moment so the following is
pretty rough ...

Here's my idea for what the FAQ ought to look like once a) the various
things that Tom is talking about are moved and b) a few more things
become standalone Articles (e.g. the really nice PPP writeup -- it's
great, but having it in the middle of the FAQ means that it 1) gets
buried and 2) makes the FAQ too long for anyone but the most dedicated
FreeBSD fanatic to make it through).

It's still too long by about 2x but it's a damned sight closer.  Most
of the duplicated material is removed.  All the "what is it/where is
it/how do I get it" material remains.  Some of the "why is it the way
it is" information remains but it needs to be reshuffled.

The Table Of Contents probably ought to be more like

1 Introduction
2 Documentation and Support
3 Hardware compatibility
3.1 Architectures and processors
3.2 Peripherals and add-on cards
4 Installation
5 Troubleshooting
6 System Configuration and Administration [fold in Networking, Security]
7 Commercial Applications
8 User Applications
9 The X Window System and Virtual Consoles
10 Miscellaneous Questions
11 The FreeBSD Funnies
12 Advanced Topics
13 Acknowledgments