Which disk is which

John summer at computerdatasafe.com.au
Mon Aug 30 09:47:49 UTC 2004

Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 03:20:06PM +0800, John wrote:
>
>>Subhro wrote:
>>

>>>What do u mean by difference?
>>>

>>That page does not mention da devices at all.
>>

>>>The device ad represents a IDE/ATA disk and the da device represents a
>>>SCSI disk. As you have got one IDE hard disk and one SCSI hard disk in
>>>your box, its showing up as ad0 and da0. But as you say that there is
>>>no SCSI in that box, then something seems to be wrong. Check your BIOS
>>>and disable any onboard SCSI controllers if present
>>>

>>There are no SCSI controllers. It's your basic cheap Acer desktop
>>Pentium III of a few years ago.
>>
>>As I said already, "I have no SCSI in this box."
>

> External USB disks and USB pens (using umass) will also show up as a da0
> device. Perhaps you have one of them attached while booting?
>
> Karel.

Thanks Karel
I do have a USB drive attached.

It's a point which I think needs clarification on the web document I
mentioned in another post.

When I started this, I actually thought I was writing to someone who had
the power to fix the problem.

I've rechecked the page and now see I clicked the wrong link. I'm ccing
doc in the hope the content of the page will be clarified.

Doc: See fig 2-20 at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html