docs/70856: List of flags and their aliases in `man 1 chflags` is not clear

Rostislav Krasny rosti_bsd at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 12:10:21 UTC 2004

>Number:         70856
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       List of flags and their aliases in `man 1 chflags` is not clear
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I think that following part of `man 1 chflags` is not clear:

     The flags are specified as an octal number or a comma separated list of
     keywords.  The following keywords are currently defined:

           arch    set the archived flag (super-user only)
           opaque  set the opaque flag (owner or super-user only)
           nodump  set the nodump flag (owner or super-user only)
           sappnd  set the system append-only flag (super-user only)
           schg    set the system immutable flag (super-user only)
           sunlnk  set the system undeletable flag (super-user only)
           uappnd  set the user append-only flag (owner or super-user only)
           uchg    set the user immutable flag (owner or super-user only)
           uunlnk  set the user undeletable flag (owner or super-user only)
           archived, sappend, schange, simmutable, uappend, uchange,
                   uimmutable, sunlink, uunlink
                   aliases for the above

The list of the aliases say nothing about what keyword is the alias of what another keyword in the above list. It also say nothing about that some keywords have two aliases.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run 'man 1 chflags'
>Fix:
IMHO the above part of the manual should be changed as following:

     The flags are specified as an octal number or a comma separated list of
     keywords.  The following keywords are currently defined:

           arch  archived
                set the archived flag (super-user only)
           opaque
                set the opaque flag (owner or super-user only)
           nodump
                set the nodump flag (owner or super-user only)
           sappnd  sappend
                set the system append-only flag (super-user only)
           schg  schange  simmutable
                set the system immutable flag (super-user only)
           sunlnk  sunlink
                set the system undeletable flag (super-user only)
           uappnd  uappend
                set the user append-only flag (owner or super-user only)
           uchg  uchange  uimmutable
                set the user immutable flag (owner or super-user only)
           uunlnk  uunlink