To PR Senders

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 21 11:04:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:11:42AM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> I fall firmly into the second category; I have broadband, wireless LAN
> and access pretty much all the time I want it at no extra cost, but I
> still prefer to see inline patches.  Pulling down a patch via fetch or
> similar is basically a PITA when they need follow ups in the PR, and I
> would rather see patches in GNATS for pretty much everything.
>
> As keramida stated though, this is personal preference (and heavily
> coloured by the fact that I have a large amount of bandwidth available
> at little cost).

I have access to a DSL line (@home an @work) since 2000, but I still
find annoying the fact to have to switch to another application to read
a patch.  And if I want to follow up to the PR, it's "hell" :)

But where I found it really annoying, I mean without a problem of
personal preference, it's when I had to use a dialup access in June.
My connections were limited to mail fetching and it was really difficult
for me to follow PRs when people used URLs for patches.

Another thing is when you want to read an old PR (closed or not) with his
patch, the URL may give you a 404...

Marc