To PR Senders

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 21 00:11:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:23:29AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> I think the text leaves the decision to the submitter for a purpose.
>
> Very large patches, like for instance a whole new subtree of doc/ with the
> translation of several articles to ancient Greek, is probably going to be
> huge to include as a diff.  The exact size where linking to an external
> site makes sense is a bit subjective though.  I've seen PRs in the past
> where people worked on entire chapters of the Handbook and did very well
> so, by including large text diffs.
>
> Common sense should be applied whenever possible, in my opinion.
>
> * NOTE: Some other things might be of importance too when deciding if the
> submitter includes the diff in the PR.  For example, there are at least the
> following two scenarions of people working on PRs:
>
> 1) The "offline" hacker.
>
> Someone logs into freefall, grabs a set of PRs with `query-pr -F' and saves
> them to a Unix mailbox file.  Then copies the mailbox to his workstation
> and disconnects from the net.  He fires up a mail reader and points it to
> the PR mailbox.
>
> In this case having the patches as part of the PR is MAGNIFICENT.
> No need to reconnect just to test a single patch!
>
> 2) The "online" hacker.
>
> Sitting on a workstation at work, Joe Random Hacker fires up a browser and
> lists the active PRs.  He notes down a few PR numbers that he might be
> interested in and uses his "spare time" between meetings and other random
> business work to hack merily away.
>
> In this case having the URL to the patch isn't really a problem.
>
> Both modes of working have their advantages and disadvantages and I've
> alternated between the two a few times.

I fall firmly into the second category; I have broadband, wireless LAN
and access pretty much all the time I want it at no extra cost, but I
still prefer to see inline patches.  Pulling down a patch via fetch or
similar is basically a PITA when they need follow ups in the PR, and I
would rather see patches in GNATS for pretty much everything.

As keramida stated though, this is personal preference (and heavily
coloured by the fact that I have a large amount of bandwidth available
at little cost).

Ceri
--
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.