TODO items for 5.3R

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 17 15:36:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:25:04 +0900 (JST)
Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote:

>  - Installation Notes
>
>    Some parts are outdated.  doc/70485 has been committed, but more
>    work is needed to reflect the realities.  bmah@ pointed out
>    that we should have "quick-start" installation guide for
>    each platform instead of the current ones because they become
>    too long and difficult to be maintained.

Bruce Mah sunk my battle ship!

Heh, to be honest, Bruce and I were talking about this a LONG
time ago and now that I have a sparc64 machine, I'm actually
going to get started on it.  :)

>  - "5.X" will be -STABLE
>
>    We think 5.X is the mainstream now, so sentences like "if you are
>    using 5.X..." have to be removed, and "if you are using 4.X..." should
>    be added instead.  And although I am not sure if sections for
>    Kerberos 4 and Vinum are reasonably applicable to 5.X, they
>    should possibly be revised.
>
>  - X.org
>
>    The handbook includes a section "The X Window System," but this is
>    mainly for XFree86.  Although the difference is not so large from the
>    point of view of configuration, we should mention both of X.org and
>    XFree86.
>
>  - rc.d scripts
>
>    Ch.11.4 and 11.5 of the handbook must be updated to mention
>    the new rc.d scripts and some ports use /etc/rc.conf for their
>    configuration.

Blah, I have a personal TODO list for this.  There is just to
much over my head right now.

>  - kernel configuration section and IPsec section
>
>    Ch.8 and Ch.14.10 of the handbook must be updated since some
>    parts are outdated.
>

>  Yes, I know some PRs have already been submitted for these items,
>  but I would like to clarify what we have to do here.  I am looking into
>  the PR database and sorting them now.
>
>  Comments?  If you have other additional items and/or comments,
>  please let me know.

See above, I wouldn't mind writing an installation chapter or
section or walkthrough for each platform.

--
Tom Rhodes