[kris at obsecurity.org: Re: can't build kernel with FAST_IPSEC R5.2.1]

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at chello.cz
Tue Apr 27 06:38:04 UTC 2004

# kris at obsecurity.org / 2004-04-26 03:54:30 -0700:
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:34:57AM +0200, bohn_michael at tiscalie.de wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I want to use my soekris VPN1401 and try to build a new kernel with  FAST_IPSEC
> > > but when I try to build an kernel FAST_IPSEC option the make build stops without
> > > is works fine.
> > >
> > > see log :
> > >
> > > pcomp.o(.text+0x8a4): undefined reference to `crypto_freereq'
> > > xform_ipcomp.o(.text+0x93e): undefined reference to `crypto_dispatch'
> > > xform_ipcomp.o: In function `ipcomp_output_cb':
> >
> > This almost always means you have omitted something from your kernel
> > config.  Go back and compare it to GENERIC, and pay careful attention
> > to the comments that tell you which other systems are required to
> > support a given system.
> >
> > Kris
>
> This is a prime candidate for addition to the FAQ; this kind of
> question ("Help!  I changed my kernel config and now it doesn't
> build!") gets asked far too often.

    Kris, I don't think putting anything more than a pointer to
    books/handbook/kernelconfig-trouble.html in the FAQ would be
    sensible, and I'm not sure that would be more than just needless
    bloat either. It's hard to find "your" question in the FAQ by visual
    scanning already.

    FAQs are piles of documentation snippets nobody bothered to
    streamline into proper documentation, which in the case of FreeBSD
    is the books and articles. Please find a place for this in
    books/handbook/kernelconfig-trouble.html.