comment on handbook chapter 5.7.4.2

Pieter Koppelaar pieterk at ectmuxs1.et.tudelft.nl
Sat Apr 17 20:43:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

First of all i'd like to apologise if this message to you is
unappropriate.
I'm new to freebsd (in fact i'm new to any unix) and i'm trying out your
latest current distribution (5.2.1).
I came across a small mismatch between my installation and chapter
"5.7.4.2 Installing XFce" of the handbook.

I was installing the XFCE Desktop environment as described in chapter
5.7.4.2 but noticed a mismatch in the command used to tell the X server to
launch XFce on startup.
The line used in the handbook is a line which
adds "/usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce" to ~/.xinitrc.
I noticed the command to start xfce is not "startxfce" but "startxfce4".

Maybe this should be changed in the handbook?

Well, anyway, thanks for the great OS. I'm really enjoying FreeBSD as the
first non-windows OS i'm using at home.

With kind regards,
Pieter