[call for participation] contributor needed

Alexey Zelkin phantom at FreeBSD.org.ua
Wed Apr 7 08:41:57 UTC 2004

hi,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:28:23PM +0200, Josef El-Rayes wrote:

> i am currently working on an xml conversion of the
> commercial pages. the code is 95% ready, but what i
> need is someone who helps me converting the entries
> from the old format in the new one.
> this can either be accomplished by a skript that parses
> the old format and converts it into the new one. or
> by manual work.

Well.  I did not asked you to do it (xml conversion), didn't I ? :-)

But since you started with this task I have remembered my ideas then
I was about to do it by myself.  If we are going to change format
of datafiles, it would be nice to have some more data added into
xml and add more features in order to make commercial gallery more
user friendly.

1. Split/add following information into separate entries
   (for each company):  contact email, phone, fax, etc?  And print
   it each on new line after printing of company description.  All these
   entries should be optional.

2. Add "product" entity.  I.e. each company may have "company description"
   and "few" products.  Each "product" should have name, description,
   web reference, and email.

3. Each company need to have internal (i.e. not published on site) information
   about contact person and last updated date.

4. It would be nice to have "by product" listing generated as well.

5. Consulting vendors should be divided into "countries", not "continents".

6. More?

Then we need to contact all companies got listed on the site in order to
request updating/reviewing information there.  If company is "died", it
should be removed from site.  This is most complex and longer task, but
we have to do it anyway.

PS: I also think we need to slowly start with conversion.  And it can be
achieved by creating "www/en/ncommercial" directory not connected to the
build (or connected but not linked from anywhere).  Then it gets ready
we'll just add "WEBDIR=commercial" to its Makefile and it will be
installing into 'commercial' directory in destination site.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin             && Independent Contractor      */
/* phantom(at)FreeBSD.org    && http://www.FreeBSD.org/java */