docs/65170: Porters Handbook is missing information on monitoring port commits

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Sun Apr 4 17:50:20 UTC 2004

>Number:         65170
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Porters Handbook is missing information on monitoring port commits
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD dibbler.crodrigues.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #39: Sat Mar 13 14:49:20 EST 2004 rodrigc at dibbler.crodrigues.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL1 i386

Ports committers can get permission to commit changes to a port
without getting prior approval of the port maintainer.  While often
not a problem, there are cases where this lack of coordination with
the port maintainer can lead to problems.  krion@ suggested
that a port maintainer should set up a monitor of commits to a port
by subscribing to freshports.org:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-April/011260.html

I would suggest that this information be added to the Porter's Handbook
in Chapter 19:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/changes.html

In addition, Kris suggested to me in private e-mail that a port maintainer
should look at /usr/ports/CHANGES to understand changes to the ports
Makefiles.  I think that Chapter 19 of the Porter's Handbook should
also be updated with information about /usr/ports/CHANGES and
/usr/ports/UPDATING.