Glossary [was: docs/64144: [patch] document procedure to add a new ports category to Committer's Guide]

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 4 13:44:18 UTC 2004

[CC trimmed even more for new topic.  Second try, which hopefully won't
be caught by spam filters]

On 2004.04.02 02:27:26 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> Regarding the glossary, how does everyone think that's working out?  I
> notice that it's been short of attention recently and wanted to check
> that people still think it's a nice idea before I do some work on it.

Even though it hasn't been getting much attention I still think it's a
very good idea.

> My current thinking at the moment is to do away with the
> FreeBSD-specific aspect and make it more general, then fiddle the

You mean make it both FreeBSD and general?  That would probably be a
good idea, and also give the glosserary a better reason for for existing
if it has more actual content.

> stylesheets to create links to the glossary term for firstterm and
> acronym elements

That sounds like a real neat idea.  Acronyms can appear many times on
one page, so perhaps only the first occurrence on a page should be
marked up with a link.  Eg. like only the first occurrence a trademark
on a page gets the trademark symbol.

> (once I've worked my way through Teach Yourself Scheme
> in Fixnum Days [1]) and, perhaps, eventually one day it will be an error

Uhh Scheme... Just make sure you have spare keyboard laying around when
you parenthesis keys gets worn out ;-).

> to add one of those elements without a matching glossary entry.  Much as
> I love it when a plan comes together, this will probably take a while,
> and I want to check the water before I dive in.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

> [1] http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html for
>     those who may be interested.

That was also one of the tutorials I used when I made the trademark
stylesheet stuff.  Others I used was
http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/index.html and
http://coli.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/Texttechnologie/dsssl_ma/dsssl/index.html .

--