docs/64144: [patch] document procedure to add a new ports category to Committer's Guide

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 2 01:27:31 UTC 2004

[Note: dropped gnats from the cc: list]

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:30:26AM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2004.03.30 14:26:30 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > > +		    the <filename class="directory">ports/</filename> directory, run
> >
> > OK, that's the first I've seen of this.
>
> Well, it don't think we (doc people) have been aware that the class
> existed for very long.  Ceri has mentioned at least once, on some
> mailing list.
>
> It's not terribly important, as nothing actually uses it at the moment
> and as you noted in another mail - a lot of existing docs doesn't use
> it. For new content we might as well add it, since we might find some
> use for it at some point.

That's pretty much exactly what I said regarding this.  It's just some
markup that I noticed while reading the DocBook book on the train one
day while planning the glossary (see below for some more thought on
that) and I figured that while there's no point doing a sweep at the
moment, we may as well add it in new content (or if working in the
general area).

Regarding the glossary, how does everyone think that's working out?  I
notice that it's been short of attention recently and wanted to check
that people still think it's a nice idea before I do some work on it.

My current thinking at the moment is to do away with the
FreeBSD-specific aspect and make it more general, then fiddle the
stylesheets to create links to the glossary term for firstterm and
acronym elements (once I've worked my way through Teach Yourself Scheme
in Fixnum Days [1]) and, perhaps, eventually one day it will be an error
to add one of those elements without a matching glossary entry.  Much as
I love it when a plan comes together, this will probably take a while,
and I want to check the water before I dive in.

Ceri

[1] http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html for
    those who may be interested.