RFC: internal/staff.sgml

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 29 19:16:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:04:04 +0100
Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:51:14AM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > -doc team,
> >
> > I'm in the process of removing the various 'teams' and 'project'
> > listings from the articles and moving it all over to the
> > internal/staff.sgml file.
>
> I'd recommend communicating with simon@ regarding this; he ran a similar
> idea past me a couple of months ago, and may have some work in progress.

Yes, we have already discussed the different ways of going about this.

> > My plan was to replace these areas with a link to that page after
> > the work was completed.  If there are any complaints, speak up and
> > let it be known to me.
>
> As I mentioned to simon when he asked me about this, I'm not sure that the
> internal/ directory is the right place for this, if it's to be the sole place
> where the information is available (cf. the name of the directory - I'm not
> convinced that we should refer users to the internal documentation).

Well, the information can be downloaded by anyone who:

A: CVSups the www collection,
B: Does a CVS checkout,
C: Looks at the internal/ directory in CVS web,
D: Just plain visits the directory.

> Obviously, it would be very nice to have this information stored canonically
> in one place; I'm just not convinced that /internal is the right one.

I like it there in place of duplicating entities and information across
two articles and then a web page when I was originally asked to create
it.

I don't have a problem with moving it all into an article, but then
if we wanted to use single entities for say, re members, we would still
have entity duplication.  I'm currently at a loss on how to avoid this,
but it is already there and that is why I just chose the staff.sgml
file.

> [More observant readers will note that I'm not proposing anything better;
>  I'm just voicing a concern.  Don't let that stop you ;-)		 ]

Yes, I did notice that.  :)

While I did draft a patch up for this, I can revert all that work if
a more novel idea came about.  This is why I asked for comments before
committing anything.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes