FreeBSD Handbook

Mark Goldfinch mark.goldfinch at team.telstraclear.co.nz
Mon Sep 22 08:29:29 UTC 2003

Hi,

Could I make a suggestion that an addition is made to Section 21.5
"Tracking for Multiple Machines" of the Handbook?

In versions of FreeBSD prior to 4.4 (or RELENG_4 FreeBSD versions prior to
Wed Aug 1 06:48:41 2001 UTC) /usr/bin/install defaults to deleting the
original file after creating the target.  If one has /usr/obj mounted
read-only and is wanting to perform multiple installs this obviously
creates havoc.  The work around for this is to ensure one has:

INSTALL=install -c

within one's /etc/make.conf.

Thanks.

PS: Actually, if one enables rw and then tries to do the install, it will
actually create a massive amount of havoc, at very least install will
remove:

src/sys/modules/joh/joy.sh
src/sys/modules/ibcs2/ibcs2.sh
src/sys/modules/linux/linux.sh
src/sys/modules/svr4/svr4.sh

Which are required for RELENG_4 make installkernel to succeed.

I guess this makes the "INSTALL=install -c" a bigger issue than just nfs
builds, but potentially any build which is going from FreeBSD < 4.4 =>
recent RELENG_4.

Best Regards,

---
Mark Goldfinch