Darwin...

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 14:58:50 UTC 2003

On 2003.10.27 08:47:37 -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:50:25AM -0800, Hiten Pandya wrote:
>
> > 	You might also need to add a copyright/registered entry or such.
> > 	This should be done for things like Sun Solaris and any other
> > 	commercial Operating System mentioned on the web site.  I am
> > 	sure the Microsoft Windows is already been done.

Solaris and similar known trademarks should be marked up correctly, but
of course I won't rule out that I might have missed some instances.

> Thanks, I'll watch for that sort of stuff if/when browsing.
>
> I can't find a Trademark for Darwin but it looks like NetBSD has
> a trademark registered.  Though the place I was checking thinks

I don't think it's registered, but they are in the process of
registering it.

> FreeBSD's Trademark is registered to Walnut Creek so I'm not sure
> how accurate this is given Murray's fun with that.  This is the

I think that is still correct with the current status. (Since Walnut
Creek is Wind River Systems, after BSDi bought Walnut Creek, and WRS
bought BSDi.)

> search tool I found:
>
> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchstr&state=geuq4q.1.1

Due to USPTO's use of sessions, that URL will only work a very short
time (doesn't work now).

> It says NetBSD is a Trademark of "NetBSD Foundation".
> No records found for OpenBSD.
> Lots of records found for Darwin but none that seem to apply to
> the Darwin OS.

Darwin doesn't appear on Apple's trademark list[1], so I don't think it
is a trademark.

BTW, also note that some trademarks (even registered trademarks) doesn't
require you to use trademark symbols.

[1] http://www.apple.com/legal/appletmlist.html

--
Simon L. Nielsen