Kernelpath & arplookup.

Peter Terpstra peter at k6.xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 24 21:39:05 UTC 2003

In <20031024201402.GA54905 at happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophile.co.uk>,
op de datum 2003-10-24 om 21:14, Matthew Seaman schreef:

>> I did a `configure MYKERNEL-K6;make depend;make; make install' just as
>> mentioned in the on-line FreeBSD handbook.
>> Why isn't the path something with /boot/kernel?
>
>As you say, that isn't the location in the file system where the
>kernel is installed: it's where the kernel was compiled.  To find
>where the kernel was booted from try:
>
>    % sysctl kern.bootfile

kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel/kernel

seems to bee good.

>You can certainly clear out your kernel compile directory without
>affecting the operation of the system.
>
>While the way you compiled the kernel certainly works, it's actually
>the 'old' way.  Nowadays the commonest way to build and install a
>kernel is:
>
>    # cd /usr/src
>    # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL-K6
>    # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL-K6
>
>In thins case, you'll find that the kernel compile path is
>/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL-K6
>
>As to quite why it's like this I'm not sure.  I think it's one of
>those things that has always been that way, and because it's been like
>that for so long no one is going to change it now.

Ah, thanks.

>> Frequently I get this message on the first console:
>> arplookup 213.84.240.105 failed: host is not on local network

>Yes.  This isn't necessarily an error.  All it means is that there is
>a host on the same physical network segment but with an IP number that
>belongs to a different network than your machine.  If this isn't a
>misconfiguration then you can suppress the error message by:

>    # sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface 0

This:
root at k7:~:0>sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface=0
net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface: 1 -> 0

seems to work.

With kind regards,

	Peter Terpstra

--
Date & time: vrijdag 24 oktober : 23 uur, 06 minuten en 06 seconden.
Uptime: 11:06pm  up 9 days, 23:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.06