FreeBSD Internals

Rouan van Dalen rvdalen at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 16:32:28 UTC 2003

Hi guys !!!

My nme is ROUAN, im am 20.  I am studying OS development.

I am writing my own ebook about FreeBSD called "FreeBSD Internals".
But I need a lot of detailed information that is hard to come by.

There are numerous reasons why I am writing this book :

1) It is essentially a learning process for me.

2) I want to provide a source of detailed, in-depth knowledge to anyone
interrested in how an OS works & more specifically how FreeBSD
works.

3) I want to give something back to the FreeBSD community for
providing us with such a fantastic OS.

The above are just a few.

The ebook will be totally free (carrying on the tradition of the FreeBSD
community) because I feel that knowledge should be free.  It will be
published in PDF format.

Anyone who provides information will be honered by listing their names
at the sectiion they provided me with info (if they wish their names to be
private they should just let me know).

Right ...

What I need now is the most detailed & in-depth information on
FreeBSD's boot sequence.  more specifically :

1) What files are related to the FreeBSD boot process.
2) What is each files purpose
3) What order are the files loaded & executed
4) What exactly does the boot manager look for.
5) The structure of the FreeBSD boot record.
6) Source code of the boot record & boot manager, etc.

Any other information that pertains to the FreeBSD boot process.

It can be links to web pages, attached files, any info possible.
Thnx !!!

The help will be much appreciated.  I look forward to working with you
guys to provide the best and most accurate book on FreeBSD.