FreeBSD for Linux users

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Nov 30 11:30:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:25:37PM -0800 I heard the voice of
bri an, and lo! it spake thus:
> I am a Work-study at a University. I have allot of
> staff using Redhat. I have been working on helping
> people move to Freebsd. I have been using it for a two
> months. I would love to help in anyway. I am not very
> versed in Freebsd, But I know how to RTFM. I can be a
> great tester to see what the document needs.

Interestingly, I've just been (on and off, in between all that stupid
Real Work stuff that interferes) writing something along those lines.
Though, it's aimed more at describing some of the underlying
philosophical differences, on the theory that once you "get" those, the
rest will fall into place easily.  In particular, it seems that the whole
differentiation between a "base system" and "addon packages" just
completely evades Linux users (not surprising, since no such thing exists
in the Linux world).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net