Errant reference to "make world"

Mike Patterson mpatters at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Nov 29 17:09:35 UTC 2003

Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 10:34:36AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>>A co-worker of mine just wisely pointed out that the reason people keep
>>shooting their feet by using "make world" instead of the documented
>>upgrade procedure is that we keep telling them to do so (doh):
>>
>>  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
>>
>>    Before compiling FreeBSD-CURRENT, read the Makefile in /usr/src
>>    carefully.  You should at least run a make world the first time
>>    through as part of the upgrading process. Reading the FreeBSD-CURRENT
>>    mailing list and /usr/src/UPDATING will keep you up-to-date on other
>>    bootstrapping procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move
>>    toward the next release.
>>

> the "make world" words are a link to
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> which is very well documented, it seems difficult to do more, however
> maybe some parts need a rewording.

Perhaps just re-wording the actual link using words that aren't valid
whilst in /usr/src would be sufficient?

ie, give a list of references instead:

Before compiling FreeBSD-CURRENT, read the Makefile in /usr/src
carefully.  Other references are the Handbook [with a link], the
FreeBSD-CURRENT mailing list [with a link], and /usr/src/UPDATING.

Yes, I'd be willing to submit a patch for this.  :-)  (Although it would
be my first one.)

Mike