Site lists in the Handbook

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 16 16:17:32 UTC 2003

"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <20031116145448.GC402 at arthur.nitro.dk>:

simon> I think it's a great idea, but it does mean that doc/ is now always
simon> required to build www/.  I think there should be an explicit dependency
simon> from index.html to the mirror xml file, like the attached patch so
simon> make(1) will fail instead of generating an empty mirror dropdown.

 Thanks.  I forgot to include the dependancy in the patch.

simon> I don't think it is a big problem that www/ depend on doc/, since most
simon> people will have doc/ checked out anyway to build the documentation as
simon> part of the web build.  This also allows us to reduce the amount of
simon> duplicate meta information in doc/ and www/, at some later point.

 I still hesitate about that point.  Anyway, that www/ depends on doc/ is
 less harmful than that doc/ depends on www/.  There should be few people who
 have to build www/.

simon> Should't it be in share/xml or something like that, since it's not
simon> really sgml? (It's not something I feel strongly about)

 Hmmm, I am not sure which is better; I personally think two separate
 directories sgml/ and xml/ are not needed since we have just a few files
 and the primary purpose is to gather information.  Also *.ent can be
 used for XML and SGML, so the distinction is obscure.

simon> A few very minor things, there are some end-of-line whitespace and some
simon> spaces that IMO should be tabs.  Should be simple to see in the attached
simon> patches.

 Your patches are applied, thanks!  I'll commit it soon.