Web Site Usability

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 10 17:49:41 UTC 2003

[You may not have been aware that your original post was to a mailing
list.  It's generally considered a good idea to keep conversations that
have relevence to the entire list on the list.  Use the "reply all" button.]

Mr. Arlen Britton wrote:
> Actually, the Apple web site refers to FreeBSD as being an organization
> they partner with for various things, including security
> vulnerabilities, etc. So, I naturally went to your web site and that of
> CERT, looking for any identified flaws and info on their fix.

FreeBSD has no mechanism, that I am aware of, to distribute this kind of
thing to end-users.  Although I'm sure the Darwin projects and Apple work
closely with the FreeBSD developers to get fixes made quickly to all
vulnerable operating systems (this is traditional in the BSD world, if
you're curious, look at how OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD work together
for these kinds of problems)

However, the code is just different (similar, though) and there are
undoubtably many cases where a FreeBSD patch would not work on your
OS X system.

> Since Darwin, etc is supposed to be an open source project, that means
> users really don't have to wait for Apple to post a patch; they can
> download and install it from open source sites such as CERT or FreeBSD.

I don't recommend this unless you're experienced in the ways of software
development.  Even pulling patches in from Darwin is liable to break your
OS X installation.  Unless you want to learn software development practice,
let the experts at Apple handle it for you.

Are you aware of any current vulnerabilities in OS X that can not be
patched with the tools Apple provides?  My experience has been that Apple
is very good at providing patches very quickly.  I'm curious as to why
you are even attempting to do it any other way.

If there is indeed anywhere on the Apple site that recommends that this
is a good idea, you should contact apple about the mistake.

> That's what I was hoping to find on either of your sites, but I didn't.
> I found them convoluted, impossible to navigate with an certainty as to
> where you'd end up; something only a system administrator could love.

First off, I'm a long-time FreeBSD user, so I'm blind to the problem you
are describing (for exactly the reason you're describing).

Secondly, I'm sure your complaints are valid, however, they're simply not
specific enough to fix.  I (for example) have no problem finding things
on the FreeBSD web site, but I already explained that I'm a long-time
user.

As a new visitor, your _detailed_ input would be invaluable to the site
developers.  However, comments like "it's too convoluted to find anything"
are not helpful to the site maintainers, because they're simply to
vague to fix.

> Of course, I am referring to Mac OS X, since Apple is or was working
> with FreeBSD; perhaps their web site needs some updating in areas to
> remove confusion.

It appears so.

> Still, I believe my main criticisms remain valid
> regarding usability and navigation. Right now, it's just unworkable
> unless you already know where something is that you want. Sadly, most
> end users will not know this and cannot divine it from nothing.

As I said, specific examples of _how_ it is difficult and specific
examples of how it could be improved, _would_ be helpful to the site
maintainers.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies