Web Site Usability

Mr.Arlen Britton Eg4VMnCmkP4hAKgEu97trXEdkeK at usfamily.net
Mon Nov 10 15:55:59 UTC 2003

Your site needs some work to make it usable for the average person,
instead of the system administrators of these systems. For example, if
one were looking for security patches or vulnerabilities for Mac OS X,
there seems no way to search for them; I tried and got no results that
identified anything this way. Surely you can do a better job of
organizing and documenting these things so that users can quickly find
only what they are looking for, rather than wade through a long list of
cryptic descriptions that don't tell them what they need to know.

At the same time, if you have a patch for the specific vulnerabilities
in question, I don't think it would be too difficult for you to
identify whether or not the flaw exists in previous versions of an OS
(and which ones), and whether or not the patch would fix it in those
versions. I think working closely with the OS vendors would enable them
to provide this information to you.

Finally, you need to find a common method of identifying patches that
are specific to each OS version, rather than the cryptic names you now
give them; it certainly doesn't tell me anything at all, so I'm sure a
much less sophisticated end user would be even more confused.

When can these changes be made?