doc build with .OBJDIR

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Sun May 25 14:18:01 UTC 2003

On 2003.05.25 14:01:54 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:01:55PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at nitro.dk> writes:
> > > Doesn't the XML docbook have problems with including other files as done
> > > e.g. in the handbook?
> >
> > Not at all:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
> >   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd" [
> >   <!ENTITY % manpages SYSTEM "../manpages.ent">
> >   %manpages;
> > ]>
>
> That works, but all the parameter entities in handbook/book.sgml, such as
>
> <![ %chap.config;                   [ &chap.config;               ]]>
>
> all fail, since marked sections aren't allowed in an XML document.

This is to allow only to include some chapters, right?  That could be
handled easily with a little sed/grep magic, if we really need it.

> I suspect this is what Simon was referring to.

I must admit I don't remember what the exact problem was, just that
there was some issue with include files, which led to using SGML instead
of XML at work.

> If it turns out that we don't care about using this functionality and are
> prepared to lose it, then I have a patch to doc.docbook.mk here that allows
> an XML build to finish (although the finished documents don't quite validate
> due to a strange issue with the footer in freebsd-html.xsl), although it does
> have other issues as I've outlined previously
> (<20030413200045.GA97520 at submonkey.net>).

The current SGML->XML support in the makefiles doesn't work, right?  In
that case I don't see any reason not to commit the patch you are
refering to in that mail, since it doesn't affect anything but XML.

One note about that patch. I think you should use "${ECHO_CMD}" instead
of "echo"; not that it makes much real difference, but for style.

--
Simon L. Nielsen