Free BSD at CompUSA

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Tue May 13 10:20:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:11:42AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:21:56PM -0400, Tim Church wrote:
> > Dear Webmaster,
> >
> > In the interest of avoiding any confusion, CompUSA does not sell FreeBSD
> > anymore.
> > I've had a few disappointed customers who say that your website lists us as
> > a retailer who still carries you product.  You might want to update your
> > site.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> Thanks a lot for the notice!  The rest of this email is for the benefit
> of the freebsd-doc at FreeBSD.org mailing list members.
>
> The obvious fix would be the attached patch, which removes CompUSA from
> the handbook/mirrors/chapter.sgml list of boxed product retailers.

Hold up on this a second, Peter.
I've mailed the compusa.com address in the .sig for confirmation, as the
original mail was sent from a hotmail.com account and although there have
been other reports that CompUSA don't stock FreeBSD anymore, so far as I
know it could be an elaborate hoax.  The fact that I've not received a reply
from the compusa.com address makes me wonder...

> However, there is a slight problem with it: the remaining text talks
> about "several retailers", yet lists only one - Fry's :)

I believe FreeBSD Mall do a boxed set as well.

> So.. what should we do about the Retailers section of the Mirrors
> chapter?

I think it should go.  The costs involved in producing a boxed set that
won't go out of date real quick (considering our release schedule) are
prohibitive, and I'd be surprised if more retailers produced one.
We can always resurrect it if the market picks up.

Ceri