docs/51897: Add example for disklable for md devices

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 7 18:36:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:58:48AM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > We shoould be consistent with other docs (Handbook etc..) i.e.
> > disklabel -r -w md0 auto
>
> Actually it was on purpose that I changed that.  As I understand it '-r'
> and 'auto' are not needed anymore post GEOM.  The examples in
> bsdlabel(8) does not use auto and this is the code handling '-r' :

Well I did not think about the brand new disklabel :(

> 	case 'r':
> 		/*
> 		 * We accept and ignode -r for compatibility with
> 		 * historically disklabel usage.
> 		 */
> 		break;
>
> I would rather say that the rest of the docs should be change not to use
> '-r' and 'auto' and perhaps add a compatibility note for FreeBSD < 5.0.

You meant 5.1 I think.
In the Handbook I would write that -r and auto options can be safely
omitted on FreeBSD 5.1 and later.

Marc