Why does cvsup drop doc in /usr/doc

Martin Karlsson mk-freebsd at bredband.net
Thu Mar 27 22:06:51 UTC 2003

* Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> [2003-03-27 13.09 -0500]:
> Hey team,

Hello,

> I've got an interesting or wierd question.  Why does the cvsup application
> drop the docs in /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc.
>
> Now I understand that the documentation from the release installs
> there, and cvsup keeps track of checked out versions.  But can't
> we just drop doc/ into that directory?  This way those which want
> to cvsup and update the doc don't get a copy in both places.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly here: a copy in both places?
There are no HTML docs in /usr/doc (except when running make), and no
SGML sources in /usr/share/doc. Or am I wrong in this?

The doc sources are fetched to /usr/doc. If I cd to that dir and run make
clean && make all install (for example), the output (i.e. the formatted
docs) can then be found in /usr/share/doc.

I probably misunderstood your question though. :)

Best regards,
--
Martin Karlsson