Comment about "20.9 SMTP Authentication"

Marcel E. marcel at ge-it.nu
Fri Jun 13 01:38:58 UTC 2003

Hi,

A tiny suggestion... do with it what you want... just thought I'd share my
views :)

Maybe Point 4 on the SMTP Auth page
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html)
should include instructions on how to build the "shared libraries it needs"
when they're not available (like on a clean install, cvsup src, yet no make
buildworld performed).  Considering the page is pretty much a step-by-step
type deal, maybe it should include information on how to build these shared
libraries. I was missing libsm.a and libsmutil.a on a freshly installed 4.8
system and was able to make these as follows:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libsm
# make obj && make depend && make
# cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil
# make obj && make depend && make

Just may make for a nice addition and a more pleasurable sendmail/sasl
experience for those that are sticking their toes in the BSD pond for the
first time? (then again, one could wonder if these people really should be
focussing on sendmail -- let alone an authenticating sendmail!)

Have a great day!
Marcel